So this year I really didn’t have a lot of time to tend to my garden. In fact, I basically planted everything and let nature take its course. I’m ashamed to take a picture of my garden and all the grass that has grown up along with my plants.
There have been years that I watched the garden carefully, weeded, and quickly harvested my crop and you know what by now everything would have dried up and I’d be planting for Fall.
Well this year. I’m still reaping harvest! I even have eggplant that I planted last year that surprised me by coming back and will be ready for harvest soon.
The Bible says:
“So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.” Galatians 6:9 NLT
Just like the eggplant in my garden you don’t know when you will be surprised with harvest from something you have sowed years ago. Just keep doing good. Keep serving the Lord, keep loving people. Keep doing what is good even when evil is done to you. You will reap harvests of blessings if you don’t give up!
There will be times when you will disappoint, disrespect, offend, or hurt someone you love and respect. Right, wrong, misunderstanding: It really doesn’t matter these feelings are all from the eye of the beholder. You can’t change someone’s perception of an incident. They experienced it the way they did at that moment.
If that person and relationship matters to you; if you seek to restore or move forward, here’s a simple yet powerful tip!
Let your actions speak louder than your words and their feelings!
All you can do is show them your true heart’s intent. Show up, support, keep your word, LOVE! Prayerfully their heart towards you will change. Either way you will be at peace!
Thanks for counting down with me. Today is the final day, tomorrow is my Birthday! We will continue our talk about people pleasing.
How does one get caught up with people pleasing? Here are some possibilities:
- Insecurity – when we are insecure we view ourselves through the opinions of others. One opinion from someone either makes or breaks our day! We see ourselves through the glasses of others. Those glasses are tainted by their life circumstances and unresolved issues.
- Immature Leadership – A mature leader prepares their followers to be independent and able to go and lead others. An immature leader seeks to keep their followers dependent so they will always ‘need’ them. If you use the example of a parent, a good parent prepares their child to leave the nest. That follower or child will spend their lives trying to prove to their parents that they are ready, though it will all be in vain
- Pride – when we are operating in pride we hold ourselves in high esteem. In order to feed that esteem we feed off the praises and approval of others.
If you are a people pleaser, you have to figure out where it began and what in your life continues to support it. It may take some work to get delivered but I promise you: the freedom is so worth it!!!
I pray this countdown of some of my life’s lessons has been a blessing to you. Tomorrow I turn 40!
We are almost there! Countdown to 40 – Day #9 and 10 will be about ‘People Pleasing’ I’m breaking it up into 2 parts.
I’ve struggled with the desire to please almost all my life! I was in absolute bondage to the thoughts and opinions of others. For this post I want you to do determine if you are a people pleaser.
For the sake of these posts I’ll define what I mean by the term “people pleaser” = someone who seeks to please people above God and themselves. They seek to make people happy and will do so even if it means disobeying God and despite what they know is best for them! They seek their validation from people and feel incomplete without it.
How do you determine if you are a people pleaser? Ask yourself these questions and answer honestly:
- Do I have to check with someone else before I make a decision (Minor or Major)? If they say one thing, but you think another; do you immediately do what they say?
- Do you feel bad about not taking someone’s advice? Has this made you stop asking for advice to avoid feeling like others are running your life?
- Do you feel bad about telling people no, or that you don’t agree?
- Do you feel like your life is completely run by others and you don’t have a voice?
- Are you willing to do things that you consider to be wrong based on your morals and beliefs just to maintain certain relationships?
- Are you always succumbing to peer pressure (good or bad) but never able to push your peers to do what you want?
- When ready to step out and do something new or different, do you hesitate or stop because of worry of what others will think?
When you seek to please people over God you have made them an idol! Yep, it’s that serious. God is jealous and He is not gonna play second to anyone in your life. Don’t believe me., do a search on idols in one of your bible apps or concordance. You’ll see!!!!
You will never please people and you can’t receive validation from an idol! Your validation, worth, and value should only come from your Heavenly Father who created you and holds the blueprint for your life!
Stay tuned for Part 2!
So this Countdown to 40 Topic is “Watch your Words!”
What is in your heart will eventually come out of your mouth. At one time my heart contained hurt, disappointment, anger, and feelings of inadequacy. Therefore, my words were tainted by all those things. As I continue my journey of freedom and growth my heart is filled more with love, grace, and compassion.
Who can tame the tongue or the fingers on social media? No one can but we should keep in mind the power that our words possess. They hold the power of Life and Death. It doesn’t get more serious than that.
In this digital age what we say doesn’t go away. So what we type on social media is just as important. I’m so glad we didn’t have social media the first decades of my life! It’s so easy to type what we think. And boy do I have many thoughts lol.
Purify and heal your heart and you will have better control of your words!
Our Topic for Countdown to 40 – Day #7 is “Weakness.” We all have strengths and weaknesses. It’s what makes us unique and fosters our need for one another. As you mature and recognize an area of weakness in your life, don’t beat yourself up. Instead do the following as appropriate:
- Pray and ask God to strengthen you in that area
- Study and practice to develop that area
- Find a mentor in that area to hold you accountable and follow their lead
- Find a group of like minded individuals and you trade your strengths with theirs (mutually covering each other’s weaknesses)
Remember you are a work in progress, just make sure you don’t stop working on you!
Today’s countdown post is simple yet powerful: Celebrate! Too many people go days, weeks, months, and years without celebrating anything. Let’s define celebrate: to acknowledge (a significant or happy day or event) with a social gathering or enjoyable activity.
There is a time for everything including a time to celebrate! Some let accomplishments, milestones, Birthdays, Anniversaries, holidays etc go by without truly celebrating and you are truly missing out.
Your lack of celebrating life and it’s blessings is robbing some of your joy, strength, and Praise opportunities. You should be giving God thanks! This is one of the reasons why people have to be prompted to give God praise in our worship services. People have allowed life to beat the ‘celebrate’ out of them! They literally don’t know what a celebration looks like or how to participate.
Get your Celebrate’ back! Get your “Praise” back! Don’t let anymore opportunities pass you by! I’m celebrating life and will be celebrating my birthday milestone all month long *smile*